add-to-list controller-fast-backward remove-user warning chevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cloud controller-fast-forward controller-jump-to-start controller-next controller-pause controller-play controller-record controller-stop download install open-book resize-100 resize-full-screen save sound-mute sound trash uninstall upload-to-cloud upload add-user attachment back-in-time back block book box briefcase browser calendar ccw chat check circle-with-cross circle-with-minus circle-with-plus clapperboard clipboard clock code cog copy credit-card credit cross cw cycle database dial-pad direction drive edit email erase export flag flash folder-images folder-music folder-video folder forward game-controller grid heart-outlined heart help-with-circle help home image-inverted image images inbox info-with-circle info key level-down level-up lifebuoy link list location-pin location lock-open lock log-out login loop magnet magnifying-glass mail map megaphone menu message mic minus new-message new news notification paper-plane pencil phone pin plus popup power-plug price-tag print publish quote reply-all reply retweet rss share-alternitive share shareable shop shopping-bag shopping-basket shopping-cart shuffle signal squared-cross squared-minus squared-plus star-outlined star swap tag text-document-inverted text-document text thumbs-down thumbs-up thunder-cloud ticket tools tv typing unread untag user users v-card video wallet px-with-circle px basecamp behance creative-cloud dropbox evernote flattr foursquare google-drive google-hangouts grooveshark icloud mixi onedrive paypal picasa qq renren scribd sina-weibo skype slideshare smashing soundcloud spotify swarm vine vk-alternitive vk xing yelp dribbble facebook-with-circle facebook flickr-with-circle flickr github google instagram-with-circle instagram lastfm-with-circle lastfm linkedin-with-circle linkedin pinterest-with-circle pinterest rdio stumbleupon tumblr twitter vimeo youtube check_plus
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Simple Control Alexa Smart Home Skill Now Available

Simple Control Alexa Smart Home Skill Now Available

Post by Will Price » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:23 am

While not officially listed in the Alexa Smart Home Store yet, the new Simple Control Alexa Smart Home Skill is now live!

To add the new skill to your account, use the Contact Support button to contact support for the special beta instructions.

Simple Hub 4.5.8+ is required, and you should already have the existing Simple Control Alexa skill working before adding this new skill.

Use the instructions from support to add the skill to your account. You should then discover devices to see what can be controlled. This skill allows skipping the “tell Simple Control” prefix used by the Custom Skill. As both skills present unique and separate functionality, we recommend linking both. Examples:

* Alexa, turn on the Living Room. (launch first activity with an opening device in the Living Room)
* Alexa, turn on Office DISH. (open “Watch DISH” in the Office)
* Alexa, turn on Living Room TiVo. (open “Watch TiVo” in the Living Room)
* Alexa, set the Bedroom Receiver to 25%. (set volume to -55.5 for Denon Receiver in the Bedroom)
* Alexa, set Kitchen Sonos to 60. (set volume to 60 for Sonos device in the Kitchen)
* Alexa, turn off the Bedroom. (run the first Power Off activity in the Bedroom)
* Alexa, turn off the Office DISH. (run the first Power Off activity in the Office)
* Alexa, turn off the Office DISH 1. (send a POWER OFF command to the DISH device in the room Office — see the Alexa app for actual naming)

Thank you.

Re: Simple Control Alexa Smart Home Skill Now Available

Post by mschneider261 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:31 am

Out of curiosity as you mention both skills present unique functionality, i am just curious what is lost with the new skill? In general terms.

Post by Will Price » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:59 am

If you were to use only the new skill, you would lose some of the more detailed functionality from the old skill. Examples that aren't replicable in the Smart Home skill:

tune ABC in the Office
set the volume to -45.5 db
skip 6 times
mute the Guest Room
turn up
play
pause
go to the next chapter

These are just examples. Smart Home Skills do not really have a syntax. They just have "turn on", "turn off", "set XX to Y%". They're not capable of the intricate control of custom skills. We have made volume work with all devices on a percentage basis with the Smart Home Skill, so you can say things like "set the Denon Receiver to 50%" and that will be converted to the appropriate decimal volume that is 50% between -80.0db and +18.0db, but you can't use the direct volumes like in the custom skill. Also, the many different play/pause/next/previous and chapter control from the custom skill can't be replicated. Finally, all of the custom channel commands for ABC, channel number 456, Food TV, and many others require the custom skill.

So I think the best of both worlds at this point is just link both skills. For all the basics, use the Smart Home Skill because it presents Activity Names in a more straightforward way. Anything on/off is much better. Then for channels, volumes, and specific commands like pause, use the custom skill syntax.

Thank you.

Post by rsmith732 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:55 pm

Testing new skill. Surprised by number of devices Alexa discovered! Works well as you stated in that simpl on/off activities work best in this beta skill.
If I may, I'd like to see the option to select activities for Alexa to discover. I really like having the ability to set lighting scenes in my Hue lights with the simpler syntax.

Post by Alexander » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:28 am

Hello!

will the SkillAdapter for Home Skills work with German language?
Is the custom skill a prerequisite?

The reason I'm asking is because the custom SimpleControl skill is not available for Germany.
I don't necessarily Need the custom skill and the standard intents supported by the Home Skill would suffice for me.

So would this be an Option?

Thanks
Alexander

Post by Will Price » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:32 am

After the Smart Home skill has its official publish in the US (visible in the Alexa app and no longer requiring the special link support is sending out), we'll be looking into activating both skills in additional countries.

Thank you.

Post by rspivack786 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Enhancement request - In Simple Control provide a toggle to selectively hide rooms and/or activities and/or devices from Amazon device discovery.

I have existing Amazon SmartHome scenes and devices and avoiding both room and name collisions with Simple Control is requiring renaming to obscure names which is not solving the problem.

Post by Will Price » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:53 pm

I'm pleased to announce the Alexa Smart Home Skill is now a production skill and listed in the Alexa app! There is no longer any need to contact support for a special link to add the skill. We maintain a knowledge base article on this skill here:

https://www.simplecontrol.com/knowledge ... smarthome/

The skill description inside the Alexa app also contains important information.

Thank you.

Post by blee70 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:08 am

Any rough timescale on when this will be available in the UK?

Post by spatel27 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:48 am

As above would really like to know when this will be enabled in the UK Alexa store.

Love Simple Control and this would finally make voice control simple!

Return to Announcements