Any docs on how Just add Power (J+P) HDMI-over-IP works?

Starting to investigate HDMI-over-IP solutions for n x m video switching over gigE networks.

“Just Add Power” has devices that support 4K UHD resolution and their website lists Simple Control as one of the 3rd party control systems that supports their hardware ( justaddpower.com/control.html )

I would like to know if there are any docs or information on how the integration with Simple Control works. (Searched this site and didn’t find anything).

Most importantly, I would like to know which J+P capabilities are supported/controlled and which are not to determine if this is. good fit. There are many possible configurations/deployments and before choosing to work with J+P, I would like to be clear if Simple Control is the right control solution.

Did you ever get a response to this question as I am about to venture down SimpleControl and want to utilize just add power?

No, but in terms of video distribution, I am trying to avoid any type of video or audio distribution systems that are centralized or matrix-based.

They are relatively complex and expensive so keeping it simpler is actually more effective in many cases.

The primary area for video distribution has moved away from in-home systems and is focused on video walls or commercial (boardroom, sports bars, etc.) as those environments need the unique solution provided and can afford the cost.

As far as JAP, this is on the compatibility list. Manual IP port 23. Shouldn’t be anything else needed. These are not the most complex devices. You can just add the device manually and see the commands that are supported without actually having the device. Support would be the best contact for in-depth questions. I do recall there were a couple of edge features with JAP that I thought would be cool to implement one day. I believe one of them was the ability to stream an HDMI input over IP. That would require a test unit.

WRT video distribution generically, I will put in a vote for using a matrix switch. I may be a bit of a rare case because there is essentially no source device I don’t need to use sometimes for testing purposes. When we moved into our current house, only CAT5e had been wired to all TVs. So that blocked out some options. We ended up today using an Atlona PRO3-1616M (replacing an 8x8). The fact I can have both 4K resolution and transition easily from room to room with any source is invaluable. We also don’t need a ton of sources in each room which is both expensive and a pain to manage.

The catch today is that many sources are increasingly adding HDR, and that particular Atlona is not able to handle full 18gbps. I am hoping this year things finally settle down enough for a top end video matrix solution that includes full HDR over CAT. Not sure it’s possible or will need to use fiber in the next house.

A video matrix can be one of the most important parts of a medium/large sized home. Highly recommended.

The problem is that matrix switching is primarily for multi-million dollar high-end homes and the fact that current systems can’t handle HDR and most systems installed just a few years ago can’t even handle 4K makes clients extremely upset. They spend thousands of dollars and now need to spend more again just to be able to have the same 4K experience as the guy in his 20’s in a one-room apt.

The JAP adapters, and equivalent run about $500 each (if I recall), so you need $1000 of gear just to get an HDMI signal over cat5 to your TV via a matrix. (I cloud be wrong on the exact price, but you get the idea.)

A few extra AppleTV, Roku, FireTV, or Chromcasts connected directly to each TV - one per room, is a no-brainer.

And with all OTP video (in a few years cable boxes will all be replaced with apps from the cable providers themselves or their competitors), matrix systems FOR CLASSIC RESIDENTIAL USE are a dinosaur on their last gasp.